Tuesday, March 25, 2014

No-one here closes their curtains. According to my “Holland Handbook – an indispensable guide for expatriates”, this is due to a Calvinistic origin that secretive behavior implies something to hide, which inevitably implies sin. Granted, the explanation in the book sets this out in a lot more detail and provides a far more convincing argument, but at the end of the day, the curtains remain open.

I am not a big one for curtains either and have often been requested to not do my downward-facing dog yoga poses in the nude. I have, however, always lived on a high floor and peeping toms would really HAVE to try to see in.

Here, however, many of the houses are on eye level. Unfortunately, as I walk I am a) checking my reflection in your window pane or b) looking at the architecture. The result is that I very often come eye to eye with a mom feeding her kids or a family enjoying a dinner party. I have also peeked in at people still curled up in bed, or having a morning cup of coffee. People are messy

I am guessing that as much as the curtains are open, so you are expected to not necessarily look in.


BUT THAT IS SIMPLY NOT POSSIBLE! My natural instinct is to observe, and if it’s open, I am looking. I better research and find out if this is illegal…


No comments:

Post a Comment